The Government, on Tuesday, said it has spent the first one and half years of its four-year tenure to revive and restore the Ghanaian economy, returning it to a stable footing from what it came to meet.
It said the restoration of the economy had been its first priority as a government, hence it spent the first years to restore the macro stability, “a fact to which all economic observers now attest to,” Mr Kojo Oppong-Nkrumah, the Minister of Information Designate, stated at media briefing in Accra.
He said the Government would continue with the next step, which involved the deepening of its job creation initiatives in the private and public sectors.
“Our principal job creation path, however, is to fully execute programmes that aim at stimulating the creation of more economic activity and jobs, like the 1D1F programme,” he said.
The press briefing was organised to update the media on government’s job creation initiative, the One District one Factory (1D1F), and the progress made on the roadmap towards the lifting of the ban on illegal mining, also known as Galamsey.
Giving a breakdown of the Government’s ongoing initiatives, Mr Oppong-Nkrumah announced that on the public sector, financial clearance had been given for over 145,000 jobs, involving 23,033 health workers, more than 9500 educational workers, 4,000 police recruits, and 2,700 agriculture extension workers.
There were also 1,049 Local Government workers, 20,000 afforestation workers and 100,000 Nation Builders’ Corps (NABCO) trainees, all forming parts of the private and public sector job creation initiatives.